Welcome to Edward Vinatea Sonic Lab. Click here to register

Why people choose not to buy records these days?

Why people choose not to buy records these days?

Postby EVinatea » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Back in the day when I was a kid, one of the biggest thrills for me was buying a 45 rpm and play it on my portable turntable. The sound coming from my 4 inch speaker was as crappy as it could get, but I loved it!

You know why? Because I could finally hear that song that I liked very much on the radio and as many times as I wanted to!

Think about about, this is a 10 year old boy who managed to buy a single from his allowance money! But what probably prompted me to buy this record in the first place was the fact that I had heard it on the radio. That is, at some point in my life, this song made a personal connection to me. In my case, I even waited for songs to be played and I may have had to hear them on the radio repeatedly to compel me to buy.

Today you don't have to wait for anything; just go online and hear it for free on YouTube or Spotify. There are many other places on the web where you can hear music for free, e.g. http://www.RadioAirplay.com.

This generation is simply not needing to buy downloads and the next will probably never had to because music downloads will be a business model of the past, long gone and cannibalized by music streaming.

Music streaming seems to be on the rise while music downloads and cd sales on decline and soon enough nobody is going to be buying records, with the exception perhaps of some novelty vinyl releases. This present trend is affecting the major labels big time, but what about indie artists such as you?

It's bad news because you don't have the same exposure an artist with major distribution has. Unless you perform live and have a big following {about 100,000 people}, you won't sell anything worth discussing.

You can have 500 followers on any social media site and not sell one single download {we are talking 'followers' not page likes}, yet social media is still a crucial promotional tool because of its potential viral effect. Don't give up building upon your social media foundation.

In the meantime and while music streaming becomes the official music business model, I recommend the following tips for your social music
pages, for example, ReverbNation:

1. Only provide a sample of your music no longer than 30 seconds or 10% of the total length {whichever is shorter} on your music pages.
  2. Use only the best part of the song {usually the last chorus}.
  3. Always include lyrics to the song {assuming it's a song}.
  4. Try to make a video which you can upload to YouTube {videos are still a good way to promote a song} and this way someone can hear the full length but in video format {mp4 not mp3}.
  5. And of course, don't forget to both, post it on Facebook and Twitter!

If everybody does this, I think people will get the message that you spent a lot of time and money making this beautiful creation, and that you should be somehow compensated for it.

Having said that, I find that when people don't really have full access to something online, that's when they want it the most and are even compelled to buy it.

Hope this helps,

Edward Vinatea
Mixing Mastering Engineer
http://www.MusicGuy.com
(Special holiday rates today!)

References:
The Guardian
EVinatea
Site Admin

Has Liked: 0 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Return to What's New